Thursday, October 28, 2010

Just In Time For Halloween: Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

    I haven't had a lot of time for seasonal baking lately. My classes are super duper stressful, to the point where all I do at home is study. Since the semester is almost over, hopefully that will change soon. I think my next semester is supposed to be slightly easier, despite the fact that I plan to take 18 hours.

   But this weekend, I managed to make time for a couple of projects. I completed a cookie "order" for a former coworker, and I also searched the internet looking for some fun pumpkin-ey baked goods. I always look at CooksIllustrated.com first, partially because I pay for a membership to the website and want to get my money's worth, and partially because I LOVE America's Test Kitchen. I know that when I'm looking for something specific, there's usually a foolproof recipe that matches it on Cook's Illustrated Online. I got really lucky with this one because it was actually sent in by another reader for the Holiday Baking Contest in 2005. Wow. I am so glad she shared and I can absolutely see why she won. These pumpkin whoopie pies are the bomb.



I've made whoopie pies before. Chocolate whoopie pies were my favorite. I've seen recipes for pumpkin flavored whoopies before and ignored them for a couple of reasons.

1. The photographs just didn't look right. Whoopie pies are a cake/cookie/oreo hybrid. Not a cookie sandwich.
2. No marshmallow in the filling?! I don't care how much cream cheese is in that filling, there needs to be marshmallow. My marshmallow/butter or cream cheese ratio is actually 50/50. I made a few modifications while working on my own filling.

Also, does anybody remember the supposed "pumpkin shortage?" Now there's Libby's galore, but a few months ago there was a canned pumpkin panic. Eager to stock up on whatever was left, I bought organic pumpkin puree. I was a bit nervous because America's Test Kitchen gave it a poor rating but it was delicious in these pies, so I'll be using it again for sure.


So I started with the amazing recipe. I could tell it was not written in the test kitchen, mostly because it was worded a bit differently. I pulled the recipe from the site, but I would totally suggest purchasing a membership if you haven't already (and no, ATK/CI does not pay me to say that!)

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
Source: CooksIllustrated.com

Ingredients

Pies
1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin puree
2 large eggs
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
4 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon table salt
Filling
8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick), softened but still cool
4 ounces cream cheese (1/2 package), at room temperature
3/4 cup Marshmallow Fluff (3 1/2 ounces)
1/4 teaspoon table salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar , sifted

Instructions

  1.  For the cookies: Adjust oven racks to upper-middle and lower-middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 large (18 by 12-inch) baking sheets with parchment paper.
  2. Stir pumpkin, eggs, oil, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg together in large bowl until well blended. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in medium bowl. Stir dry ingredients into pumpkin mixture until well incorporated.
  3. Using small ice cream scoop (#30 is the perfect size) or tablespoon measure, drop 2 tablespoons of dough on prepared baking sheet. (You should fit nine scoops of dough on each sheet.) Spread dough into 2-inch rounds about 1/2 inch thick and spaced 2 inches apart. Bake until cookies are just set and bottoms are lightly browned, 10 to 14 minutes, rotating baking sheets from front to back and top to bottom halfway through baking. Slide cookies, still on parchment, to cooling racks. Cool baking sheets, line with fresh parchment paper, and repeat with remaining dough.
  4.  For the filling: With electric mixer, beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed until no lumps remain, about 30 seconds. Scrape down sides of bowl with rubber spatula. Add Marshmallow Fluff and beat at medium speed until incorporated, about 60 seconds. Beat in salt and vanilla until well blended, about 30 seconds. Scrape down bowl. Reduce speed to low and gradually add confectioners’ sugar, beating until smooth, about 1 minute.
  5. Spread 2 tablespoons filling on center of flat side of one cookie. Place flat side of second cookie on filling and press cookies together to bring filling to edges. Repeat with remaining cookies and filling. (Cookies can be refrigerated in airtight container for up to 4 days).



And now for my modifications and suggestions:
1. Like I mentioned before, I increased the amount of marshmallow according to my preferences. I started with the suggested amount and after adding all of the ingredients, folded additional fluff desired into the filling. I also added additional cream cheese. What can I say? I like cream cheese.
2. I used a cookie scoop and filled it UP. Since the dough was sticky, I washed my hands and then moistened my fingers with water to spread the blobs into discs.
3. This makes about 18 whoopie pies. If you're thinking you want more than that, double the recipe. You WILL wish you had more than you made!
4.  I don't use a mixer. It's all pretty easy to do by hand. The batter is thick, though, and will require a little elbow grease to work out. If you can, I'd place a slightly dampened towel over the dough that's waiting to go into the oven. The dough dries out really quickly since it's so thick. Here's a picture if it just sitting in the mixing bowl:



Charles, my Ma, and my neighbors all loved these! I did too, but I gave almost all of them away so I couldn't eat too many of them (ha).

No comments:

Post a Comment